Thursday, May 1, 2008

Yikes

Okay, I'm freaking out a little bit today.

Thursday we got our weekly LATI e-mail and it seems I am really behind in getting the work done for this program.

Last week we spent 16 hours in face-to-face sessions, which only left me four hours of outside work time. Meanwhile, there seems to have been extra homework assigned last week (the intergenerational programming, readers' advisory, basic reference challenge and health information modules all culminated last week)! And because I was gone all week, I was sorely needed on the desk at my branch. So I had zero time to work on LATI assignments just when those assignments were heavier than usual.

One of the e-mails we received noted that we should be spending roughly 45 minutes on each resource evaluation, completing four to five of them a week. That would mean a commitment of nearly four hours a week—practically all my time off the information desk—just on resource reviews. Is it any surprise that I'm waaaay behind on those reviews?

Today we are scheduled to be in Baltimore all day. Again, I'm out of the branch and expected to be there tomorrow. Yesterday I was on the information desk for all but a half hour, and I needed that time just to recover from the rush of reference questions we had. Tomorrow the most I can expect is to have about three hours off the desk, but even that's not enough to get caught up at this point.

I realize that I'm probably kvetching to the choir here, but there just isn't enough time to do the assignments for this program. Again, I will be using my personal time because my branch simply doesn't have any leeway with extra hours right now.

Am I alone in feeling utterly overtaken by LATI assignments? I seriously feel like giving up sometimes.

2 comments:

Info.Maniac said...

Don't give up! I am seriously behind too. I only have 13 or 15 annotations. But that is only 20 more to go! I don't think the annotations take 45 minutes each. Mine have been taking about 15 minutes each. It is about investigating the resource and then writing a few sentences in boxes. You can definately do it. Keep on keepin' on!

Honoré said...

...and those "due dates" were mile markers, guidelines to help you mete the flow ...