Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Bear With Me for a Brief Rant. Regularly Scheduled Programming Will Return Shortly.

So far LATI has been a little convoluted in its methods. I understand that a big part of the training is becoming comfortable navigating various electronic media, so in that respect it may be intentional that we have been asked to jump through a few hoops to get to things.

But so far the specific class assignments and their deadlines are not clear to me. Or, if clear, they are often obscured by too many side trips of "discovery." Mainly I am concerned with completing the requirements of the class within a reasonable allotment of time. That requires prioritizing, which depends on knowing what's mandatory and what's incidental. And as I noted in my last post, more is not always better—that holds true for clomping around online to find assignments, as it does for other activities.

I'm not talking about eschewing the spirit of discovery that the program espouses. I'm just saying that the actual syllabus for this instructional unit should not be a seemingly random part of that discovery. Another way to put it: I wish there was one simple list of tasks that we are supposed to do, rather than a this-week and next-week lists on the PDFs, constant references back to the 23 Things site (which has a different schedule for completing the tasks), and suggestions that we print out an e-mail and use it as a checklist. While sorting through these materials this week I've been tempted to ask: Will The Real Syllabus Please Stand Up?

0 comments: